The Best of the Year (1/2)

As June comes to a close, it's time for my "Best Of" report for the first-half of 2017!

Best Graphic Novel: Giant Days by John Allison, Whitney Cogar,
 and Lissa Treiman 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Image result for giant days

This graphic novel series is one of the most refreshing, fun, and laugh-out-loud hilarious comics I have read in a long time. The three main characters, new college freshmen and bffs, are realistic and quirky. The art is beautiful and all around just pleasing to look at. I really recommend this series to anyone. It can be a quick read with only giggles in store. This one is bound to make your day at least a little better.




Image result for horrorstorBest Horror: Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix
🌟🌟🌟🌟

This novel, in the form of an Ikea catalog, is just genius. Hendrix becomes the master of horror with this story of a group of employees working for a corporation that mirrors Ikea that become trapped inside the store at night. Weird things start to happen and you'll be forced to read on to find out what. I cannot explain how great of a ride this one is. Hendrix's other novels are on my TBR shelf as we speak.




Best Science Fiction: Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

As the opposite of a science fiction fan, I strongly recommend this novel. VanderMeer presents the greatest world-building and character development this year. Not your typical science fiction novel, but more of a psychological sci-fi adventure. A very fast read and worth every second. Area X is scary, mesmerizing, and invisible all at once.





Best Biography: March Trilogy by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Sure, it's a graphic novel, but what better way to be immersed into Lewis' experiences than to view them? John Lewis is an amazing man and this insight into his life is invaluable. Give this to your teen or read it yourself. This one should be required reading for all.







Best Young Adult: Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige 🌟🌟🌟🌟

This was one of my most surprising reads of 2017. I gave this one a chance because I had heard great things. My hopes were never too high because there are few re-tellings I have enjoyed. Paige does an amazing job re-inventing the world of Oz. Dorothy gets a badass makeover and she isn't even the main character! I applaud Paige on this triumph of a novel. The rest of the series is not as good as the first, but still worth the read.






Best Thriller: The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison
🌟🌟🌟🌟

A man that tattoos butterfly wings onto abducted girls. The butterflies all live in the glass cage of the garden together: a family united by tragedy. One of the greatest psychological thrillers I have ever had the pleasure of reading. The second installment was just released  and I've already got the ebook!





Best General Fiction: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
 ðŸŒŸðŸŒŸðŸŒŸðŸŒŸðŸŒŸ


The chronicle of two young lovers and their very different journeys from Africa to the United States and United Kingdom. An amazing portrayal of the African experience and racial injustices faced on an everyday basis. This will be a novel I read and reread for years to come. Adichie is a master of prose and emotion.




Best Throwback: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

A classic everyone (but me) has read. I've fallen in love with the world of Harry Potter from the first word. 


Let me know your favorite reads from the first half of 2017 down below in the comments!

Comments