Deal or Dud?

When I'm not sure if I like a book or not, I usually just give it three stars on Goodreads and move on with my life. However, The One Memory of Flora Banks still has me perplexed.

The premise: Flora is a seventeen-year-old stuck in the mind of a ten-year-old as a result of an accident that caused amnesia. Flora cannot solidly remember anything after that day of the accident seven years ago. She writes details down on her arms, post-it notes, and in a notebook she carries around with her just to remember what happened ten minutes ago. One event changes this: she kisses Drake, her best friend's boyfriend. Flora can remember it. The novel follows Flora through regaining memories and finding out who she really is.

Now, the path that Flora takes in discovering many secrets that lie in her path is ridiculous. Many of the events that take place are absolutely unbelievable. However, I am not a doctor so I cannot be 100% sure of this, but a person with the type of amnesia that Flora has would never be able to do what she does.

As much as it sounds like I hated the book, I found myself compelled to read it. Flora's situation was interesting and while I was fully aware that the novel's expectations of Flora's character were unrealistic, I kept reading. I had to know. The ending was satisfying story-wise but I was left with a feeling of emptiness. What has Barr done to me?

A mediocre young adult novel has broken me, you guys. I was really excited for this release and this is what I've been left with. There were so many feelings but there weren't enough? I don't know. Please help me out and let me know what you thought of this one.

💜 Crystal

Comments